The Season of Creation has a special significance for the Catholic Church, particularly since Pope Francis established 1 September as an annual World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation.
The Season of Creation or Creation Time, is marked throughout the Christian world from 1 September to 4 October (Feast of St. Francis of Assisi) and celebrates the joy of creation as well as encouraging awareness-raising initiatives to protect the natural environment.
Pope Francis on Caring for Our Common Home
“We need to strengthen the conviction that we are one single human family.”
Resources for the Season of Creation 2019 from the Laudato Si Working Group
- An introduction to the Season of Creation and a Prayer Service for 1 September 2019. This could be used for a prayer service in a parish or an ecumenical gathering or even as part of the opening of the new school year. 1. Resources for Sunday Eucharists 2019
- Resources for the Sundays between 1 September and 4 October 2019, including a Penitential Service, Homily Notes, Prayer of the Faithful, a post-Communion Reflection, and some words for use at the Dismissal at the end of Mass. 2. Week Day Prayer Service for 2019-3-1
- Resources for the Feast of Saint Francis on 4 October 2019. 3. Prayer Service 4th October 2019
- An outline of practical actions that parishioners might take during the Season of Creation. 4. Practical Actions 2019
These resources might also serve as background material for use during the upcoming Synod of Bishops in Rome on the theme ‘The Amazon: New Paths for the Church and for Intrgral Ecology’, which is taking place during October 2019.
These resources have been prepared by the Laudato Si’ Working Group of the Bishops’ Council for Catechetics.
Creation Time Podcasts
A series of podcasts will be available from 1 September as part of Creation Time 2019.
- Podcast 1 – Season of Creation – How can Parishes respond?
- Podcast 2 – Season of Creation – Pope Francis’ call to care for our Common Home
- Podcast 3 – Caring for Our Common Home – The Science Bit
- Podcast 4 – Living Laudato Si’ every day
Creation Time Thought for the Day visuals
There are a selection of images available for use in parishes and dioceses for the Season of Creation. These can be downloaded for sharing on websites and social media. More visuals will be added over the course of the next few weeks so do check the album for the most recent visuals.
Click here for the images.
Recommended reading for the Season of Creation
- Laudato Si‘ – the 2015 encyclical letter from Pope Francis.
- Pope Francis’ message for the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation [coming soon]
- Pastoral Letter from the Bishops of the Philippines on the climate emergency
- Preparatory document for the Synod on the Amazon
- Trócaire: 100 ways for parishes to implement Laudato Si’
- Message of Pope Francis for the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation 2018
- Show Mercy to our Common Home – Message of Pope Francis for the World Day of Prayer for Creation 2016
- Saint John Paul II’s Peace with God the Creator, Peace with All of Creation (1990)
- Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI’s If You Want to Cultivate Peace, Protect Creation (2010)
- The Cry of the Earth – A Call to Action for Climate Justice, a pastoral reflection on climate change from the Irish Catholic Bishops’ Conference
Prayers for Creation Time
Audio: Click here to listen to ‘A Prayer for Our Earth’ from Laudato Si’.
A prayer for our earth
All-powerful God, you are present in the whole universe and in the smallest of your creatures.
You embrace with your tenderness all that exists.
Pour out upon us the power of your love, that we may protect life and beauty.
Fill us with peace, that we may live
as brothers and sisters, harming no one.
O God of the poor,
help us to rescue the abandoned and forgotten of this earth, so precious in your eyes.
Bring healing to our lives,
that we may protect the world and not prey on it, that we may sow beauty, not pollution and destruction.
Touch the hearts
of those who look only for gain
at the expense of the poor and the earth.
Teach us to discover the worth of each thing, to be filled with awe and contemplation, to recognize that we are profoundly united with every creature as we journey towards your infinite light.
We thank you for being with us each day.
Encourage us, we pray, in our struggle
for justice, love and peace.
A Christian prayer in union with creation
Father, we praise you with all your creatures.
They came forth from your all-powerful hand; they are yours, filled with your presence and your tender love.
Praise be to you!
Son of God, Jesus,
through you all things were made.
You were formed in the womb of Mary our Mother, you became part of this earth, and you gazed upon this world with human eyes.
Today you are alive in every creature
in your risen glory.
Praise be to you!
Holy Spirit, by your light
You guide this world towards the Father’s love and accompany creation as it groans in travail.
You also dwell in our hearts
and you inspire us to do what is good.
Praise be to you!
Triune Lord, wondrous community of infinite love, teach us to contemplate you in the beauty of the universe, for all things speak of you.
Awaken our praise and thankfulness
for every being that you have made.
Give us the grace to feel profoundly joined to everything that is.
God of love, show us our place in this world as channels of your love for all the creatures of this earth, for not one of them is forgotten in your sight.
Enlighten those who possess power and money that they may avoid the sin of indifference, that they may love the common good, advance the weak, and care for this world in which we live.
The poor and the earth are crying out.
O Lord, seize us with your power and light, help us to protect all life, to prepare for a better future, for the coming of your Kingdom of justice, peace, love and beauty.
Praise be to you!